Bill to End ICE Contract
On August 27 County Council member Liz Walsh introduced a bill (CB-51) that would end Howard County’s contract with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency. The contract allows ICE to use the county’s detention center to house immigrants charged with violating federal immigration law.
The timeline for the bill:
- Legislation to b ise formally introduced on September 8.
- Public Hearing: September 21
- Legislation work session: 9/29 (could last for two days depending on number of people signed up to testify)
- First legislative action (vote or tabling bill): October 5.
On submitting testimony:
- Written testimony can be submitted after the bill is formally introduced starting on Wednesday, September 9 at: https://apps.howardcountymd.gov/otestimony/
- Oral testimony must be submitted by September 20 at 7 pm – 24 hours before public hearing starts.
- All testimony is public record.