Defend Democracy Team
“…from Protest To Policy.” Elijah Cummings.
Howard County Elections - Behind the Scenes
The series of short articles below give background that can help in evaluating legislation and candidate positions on issues. Please read and share these!
Campaign Finance Reform
Redistricting of Congressional and State Legislature Offices
Maryland Bills from 2019 session
In The News
Defend Democracy Team Mission and Goals
Democracy: a government by the people; especially rule of the majority. Merriam Webster Dictionary.
In our country and throughout the world, democratic values are under assault. The Defend Democracy team is committed to educating ourselves and others about the challenges we face as a democracy and activating ourselves and others to actions that will support and defend those values.
Support the goals of the For the People Act of 2019 (H. R. #1) federally and in comparable state legislation. Those are:
- Remove all barriers to voter access to the ballot
- Ensure election integrity by supporting the adoption of ethical standards for all elected and appointed officials
- Ensure election security
- Provide for public funding of campaigns at the state and federal level
- Require transparency in political contributions to Political Action Committees (PACS) and in political ads.
- Research and assessing data from the 2018 election will be imperative to understanding how our state of Maryland can improve future elections, especially the 2020 election. Using the research results is essential to holding the Secretary of State and local election boards accountable and to ensure equality for all citizens.
- We will host a Town Hall to inform the general membership and public about the state of elections in our state prior to the 2020 election.
- Maryland is currently in the process of redistricting by a nonpartisan commission that requires careful scrutiny of our team and then sharing the discussions and results with our membership. Informing the general membership and public will be important so that there is an understanding of the process, the impact and the progress and results through our webpage and a Town Hall.
- We will continuously monitor and inform the membership about the progress of H.R.-1 and request the assistance of membership by communicating with their MOC’s to promote and encourage passage of H.R.-1.
- We will continue to bring conflicts of interest by the current administration to the attention of our membership.
- We are prepared to call for a rapid response when necessary as well inform and ask members to respond by communicating with MOC’s and protesting to bring attention to conflicts of interest in a public forum.
- Collaboration with other grassroots organizations is necessary to promoting our goal to defend democracy.
If you wish to contact the Defend Democracy Action Team, please fill out the form below.