Defend Democracy Team
“…from Protest To Policy.” Elijah Cummings.
TEAM MISSION and GOALS 2021
Defend the Democracy of the United States: In our country and throughout the world, democratic values are under assault. The Defend Democracy team is committed to educating ourselves and others about the challenges we face and promoting and participating in actions that support and defend democratic values.
Indivisible has joined the ’s rights, environmental, good government, and many other important communities. Formed in 2018, we set out on a mission to take back our democracy and restore power to the people. We believe that we must build a democracy where everyone participates, every vote is counted, and everyone’s voice is heard., a historic coalition of over 145 organizations representing millions of people nationwide. Our coalition includes groups from the labor, racial justice, faith, women
Support the goals of the For the People Act of 2019 (H.R. #1) at the federal and state levels, including:
• Ensuring clean and fair elections: improve access, promote integrity, ensure security
• Ending the dominance of big money in politics: guarantee disclosure, empower citizens, strengthen oversight
• Ensuring public officials work in the public interest: fortify ethics law, impose greater ethics enforcement
Support the John R. Lewis Voting Rights Act (H.R. 4), to reverse the discriminatory practices and restrictive voting laws caused by the Shelby County v. Holder Supreme Court decision.
Support the Washington DC Admission Act (H.R. 51), for statehood of Washington DC
Continue to track and support important legislation at the federal, state and county levels, including – but not limited to-:
HB493 – Election Law – Voting Locations – Accessibility by Public Transportation and Voters with Disabilities
HB1047 – Mail-in Voting Enhancement ActHB1048 – Election Law – Permanent Absentee Ballot List
1. Lobbying legislators, attending/testifying at hearings, organizing rallies, etc.
2. Developing and publishing educational materials on issues such as: voters rights, election laws, election security, campaign finance, etc, on the Indivisible HoCo website.
3. Organizing educational sessions on the same issues
4. Participating in voter registration drives
5. Working closely with other grassroots organizations where appropriate, including other Indivisible HoCo teams, the Maryland Legislative Coalition, Common Cause, the League of Women Voters, ACLU-MD, etc.
Howard County Elections - Behind the Scenes
The series of short articles below give background that can help in evaluating legislation and candidate positions on issues. Please read and share these!
Campaign Finance Reform
Redistricting of Congressional and State Legislature Offices
If you wish to contact the Defend Democracy Action Team, please fill out the form below.