Climate Action Team
To actively engage at the local, state and national level to encourage policies that reverse the effects of Global Climate Change, build Climate Resiliency and reduce single-use plastics.
Team Goals for 2021:
- The early focus will be on the 2021 Maryland legislative session. We will support legislation to address slowing the building of new fossil fuel infrastructure, transitioning to an electrified transportation system, etc.
- Work with the Howard County Council to sign on to the “We Are Still In” declaration regarding the Paris Climate Accord.
- Continue to elevate citizen actions that will prevent the current administration from gutting the original intent of the EPA, DOE and Dept of Interior as relates to climate change
- Track national climate change legislation such as Green New Deal and EV tax credit extension and advise IndivisibleHoCoMD members on effective actions
- Support pro-environmental candidates in special elections, and in neighboring state legislatures (VA/NJ)
- Support implementation of Offshore Windpower and Community/Utility Scale Solar across Maryland
- Quarterly education events as we have bandwidth
In 2017-18, the Environmental Climate Action team:
- Successfully lobbied the Columbia Association to embrace and sign on to the “We Are Still In” declaration regarding the Paris Climate Accord
- Worked with the Columbia Association to form and appoint a new Climate Change & Sustainability Advisory Committee, which has now been operating and advising CA since July.
- Spread out across Maryland and neighboring states to help elect pro-environmental candidates in Howard County, and at the state and national levels.
- Environmental Town Hall
- Tabling events: Earth Forum, Greenfest, Earth Day, Oakland Mills Fall Festival, Rise For Climate, Howard County Community College Sustainable Day
- Presentations : Health Impacts of Plastics, Fracking, Environmental Justice, Myths of Recycling
- Enabling Bill HoCo 4-19 was introduced on behalf of Less Plastic Please
- Several articles in Baltimore Sun
- Letters to the editor in Howard County Flyer and Baltimore Sun
- Over six-hundred signatures on our petition to get a fee on plastic bags
- Sierra Club
- HoCo Climate Action
- Our Revolution
- People’s Climate Movement
A proposal that would allow Howard County to place a fee on plastic bags received support during a Monday hearing where more than 20 residents urged state lawmakers to vote in favor of an enabling bill.
Team Mission and Goals
Resisting the Trump agenda by serving as community organizers. Organizing includes holding town halls, sending out action items pertaining to efforts to destroy environmental regulations, bridge the gap between organizations who are doing the work every day for a safer environment and Howard County citizens, and inform those citizens about marches, hearings, legislations.
Identify action items – simple and concise descriptions of events and legislations to be added to daily emails as necessary.
Organize town halls, connect citizens with environmental organizations, and notify of upcoming marches – the town hall format is the main tool that we have to bring citizens together to demonstrate resistance. We can also use it to inform citizens about practical environmental citizens.
- Partnering with the people’s climate march
- Sponsoring a bus to one of the marches
- Holding a town hall with Larry Hogan
- Prepare short fact-sheets – there are several issues that pose a threat to our environment:
- The destruction of important regulations such as the Clean Power Plan
- The destruction of the EPA
- The Maryland fracking ban
- Community Solar
If you wish to contact or join the Climate Action Team, please fill out the form below.