Environmental Climate Action Team
To actively engage at the local, state and national level to encourage policies that reverse the effects of Global Climate Change, build Climate Resiliency and reduce single-use plastics.
- Less Plastic Please (web site)
Goals for 2019:
- To continue provide education to the public through tabling events and presentations
- Getting the enabling bill passed by the HoCo delegation
- Gaining support for Bill HoCo 4-19 by visiting County Council members and the Columbia Association
- Continue getting signatures for our petition
- Getting the fee for plastic bags passed in Howard County
Goals for 2019:
- The early focus will be on the Maryland legislature, specifically supporting the Clean Energy Jobs Act of 2019 to increase renewable energy usage in the state to 50% by 2030. We will also support other related legislation to address slowing the building of new fossil fuel infrastructure, transitioning to an electrified transportation system, etc.
- Work with the Howard County Council to sign on to the “We Are Still In” declaration regarding the Paris Climate Accord.
- Continue to elevate citizen actions that will prevent the current administration from gutting the original intent of the EPA, DOE and Dept of Interior as relates to climate change
- Track national climate change legislation such as Green New Deal and EV tax credit extension and advise IndivisibleHoCoMD members on effective actions
- Support pro-environmental candidates in special elections, and in neighboring state legislatures (VA/NJ)
- Direct action such as marches and demonstrations
- Quarterly education events as we have bandwidth
In 2017-18, the Environmental Climate Action team:
- Successfully lobbied the Columbia Association to embrace and sign on to the “We Are Still In” declaration regarding the Paris Climate Accord
- Worked with the Columbia Association to form and appoint a new Climate Change & Sustainability Advisory Committee, which has now been operating and advising CA since July.
- Spread out across Maryland and neighboring states to help elect pro-environmental candidates in Howard County, and at the state and national levels.
- Environmental Town Hall
- Tabling events: Earth Forum, Greenfest, Earth Day, Oakland Mills Fall Festival, Rise For Climate, Howard County Community College Sustainable Day
- Presentations : Health Impacts of Plastics, Fracking, Environmental Justice, Myths of Recycling
- Enabling Bill HoCo 4-19 was introduced on behalf of Less Plastic Please
- Several articles in Baltimore Sun
- Letters to the editor in Howard County Flyer and Baltimore Sun
- Over six-hundred signatures on our petition to get a fee on plastic bags
- Environmental Action Team
- Subgroup – Less Plastic Please (Facilitators Pat & Alisa)
- Subgroup – Energy/Transportation (Facilitator Rich)
- Subgroup – Others that may come out of Feb 3 Annual Meeting
- Sierra Club
- HoCo Climate Action
- Our Revolution
- People’s Climate Movement
A proposal that would allow Howard County to place a fee on plastic bags received support during a Monday hearing where more than 20 residents urged state lawmakers to vote in favor of an enabling bill.
If you wish to contact or join the Environmental Action Team, please fill out the form below.