100% Clean Energy by 2035
“The Off Fossil Fuels Act of 2018”
We are seeing increasingly destructive storms, floods, and heat waves in recent years. Maryland is one of the states most vulnerable to climate change, and the electric energy sector is one of the largest sources of the carbon pollution that drives climate change.
We have to move to 100% clean renewable energy as fast as possible. Science and current trends tell us that if we don’t take dramatic steps now, we will hit a “tipping point” causing catastrophic disruption of the environment, human health, and the economy.
This legislation provides a detailed and viable pathway for Maryland to achieve 100% clean renewable energy by 2035.
This legislation will:
- Provide Marylanders with increasing amounts of electricity from clean renewable energy sources every year, reaching 100% by 2035.
- Make the air cleaner and healthier for all Marylanders by reducing and ultimately eliminating our reliance on polluting fossil fuel power plants.
- Support incentives to promote continuous growth of solar power and offshore wind in Maryland.
- Produce new jobs and economic development for our state
- Provide direct tax credits and subsidies paid by ratepayers to clean electricity sources, focusing our state’s support on non-polluting resources – wind and solar.
- Promote modernization of our electrical grid to create the needed “grid of the future.”
- Protect low income households, capping their energy expenses at an affordable level.